Questioning the Power of Instagram

I’m addicted to Instagram. I’ll admit it. I post once a day, always around noon because that’s when I seem to get the most engagement. I edit my photos so they look nice. I constantly check my feed. I also pay attention to who likes my photos. I honestly feel embarrassed about how much time I spend on this platform.

With that being said, I recently began to toy with the type of content I post and then track the engagement that follows. It has led me to question a couple things.

1) What is a ‘like” even worth?

On the short week after August long weekend, I posted a photo a day, as per usual. But I didn’t post my regular photos. I posted photos of things around me. To be specific, I posted a photo of a hallway, my office, the inside of a washroom, and a window. Originally I was trying to post a photo that would receive zero likes but once I realized that this would never happen I decided to see how many likes a meaningless photo could get. Here are the four photos I posted and how many likes they received.

Now, I know these photos are nicely edited but I feel as if they have no substance. And people still liked them. Which leads me to question, what is a like worth? I feel as if people look at photos on Instagram for a minuscule amount of time, double tap to like, and move on.

If I were a business, would this limited amount of engagement help me fulfill any sort of objective? It wouldn’t lead to sales. It would maybe lead to awareness. And it wouldn’t necessarily build community unless ‘community’ is defined as someone looking at a photo for less than 5 seconds and moving their thumb to tap.

 
The Hallway – 41 Likes

The Hallway – 41 Likes

 
 
My Office – 35 Likes

My Office – 35 Likes

 
 
The Bathroom – 24 Likes

The Bathroom – 24 Likes

 
 
The Window – 34 Likes

The Window – 34 Likes

 

2) Where are the majority of my followers?

It has always confused me as to why someone can have 500+ followers but only receive 50 likes on a photo. That means only 10% of your followers care about any specific post. Based off insights I’ve received from a tool called Iconosquare, I’ve found that only 8.93% of my followers regularly like my posts. I have 631 followers, which means I average 56.34 likes per photo. That’s a decent number for a personal Instagram account, but what am I doing to lose the engagement and attention of the other 91.07%?

I guess what I’m trying to say is, based on me toying with my Instagram and seeing the lack of meaningful engagement, I’m questioning the validity of an Instagram community. Although there are multiple blogs on Instagram for business, I find myself continually questioning the power of the platform.

With that being said, I know there has to be another side to the coin. If you have any opinions on this matter, or this blog, please feel free to comment. I’d love to hear from you!

ThoughtsEvan ShawComment